Are you addicted to scrolling through TikTok and YouTube in your free time? What if we told you that these platforms could also help you make money? That’s right, with the growing popularity of social media, making money on TikTok and YouTube has become a lucrative career option that everybody can pursue. Whether you’re an aspiring creator or just looking for some extra cash, this beginner’s guide will provide all the tips and tricks to monetise your content on both platforms.
What is TikTok?
TikTok is a social media app that allows users to create and share short-form videos up to 60 seconds in length. It was launched in China in 2016 under the name Douyin but later rebranded as TikTok for international markets. The platform has quickly gained popularity among younger generations with over 800 million active users worldwide. This presents a great opportunity for individuals to make money on TikTok.
TikTok is known for its unique algorithm that recommends content based on user preferences and interests, rather than based on search. This means that even new creators have the potential to go viral if their content resonates with viewers. Additionally, the app offers various editing tools such as filters, effects, and soundtracks which allow creators to enhance their videos.
The platform covers a wide range of topics including dance trends, lip-syncing, beauty tutorials, cooking tips and much more. With its user friendly interface and vast reach across multiple countries and demographics, TikTok provides an excellent opportunity to showcase your creativity or business brand through video content creation.
What is YouTube?
YouTube is a video-sharing platform where users can upload, share, and view videos. Created in 2005 by three former PayPal employees, of whom one of them created and uploaded the first YouTube-ever video, the platform has now grown into one of the largest social media in the world. As of 2023, it has 2.1 billion monthly active users around the world.
YouTube offers a wide range of content from music videos to tutorials, vlogs to comedy sketches. It allows creators to build an audience and monetise their content through advertising revenue, sponsorships and more. For viewers, YouTube provides endless hours of entertainment and education on virtually any topic imaginable, and most importantly is free and always available in the viewer’s pocket.
The platform’s algorithm recommends videos based on user behaviour such as watch history and search queries. This means that YouTube caters to each individual’s preferences while also providing opportunities for creators with new or niche interests.
From basic features rolled out at the very beginning, YouTube continues to evolve every year with features like live streaming and premium subscriptions for ad-free viewing experiences. It remains a powerful tool for building communities around shared interests and passions, thanks to a handy interface to comment on each video, while also providing opportunities for individuals to earn money doing what they love most and are passionate about.
How to start a TikTok account to make money
Starting a TikTok account is a simple process that can be done in a few easy steps directly from your phone. Here’s the guided process to help you get started:
- Download the TikTok App: The first step to starting a TikTok account is to download the app on your smartphone or tablet. TikTok is available for free on both iOS and Android devices and can be downloaded from the App Store or Google Play. There is also the desktop version but it has limited functionalities compared to the mobile version.
- Sign Up for an Account: Once you’ve downloaded the app, open it and click on the “Me” tab at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. Then click “Sign up” and follow the prompts to create an account. You can sign up using your phone number, email address, or an existing social media account like Facebook or Instagram.
- Create a Profile: Once you’ve signed up for an account, you’ll need to create a profile. Choose a profile picture that represents you or your brand, and write a bio that describes who you are and what your content is about. Remember that the TikTok bio is shorter than other platforms, only 80 characters, so try to squeeze as much as possible.
- Start Creating Content: Now that your account is set up, it’s time to start creating content! TikTok is all about short, creative videos that are usually between 15-60 seconds long. Use the app’s editing tools to add music, filters, and special effects to your videos, and experiment with different styles and formats to see what resonates with your audience.
Remember to be authentic, creative, and consistent with your content, and to have fun along
How to Make Money on TikTok
So now that you are up and rolling on TikTok, it’s time to make money with what you create! Here are some ways you can monetise your TikTok account:
- Sponsorships and brand deals: If you have a large following on TikTok, brands may be interested in sponsoring or partnering with you to promote their products or services. Plus you can get their products to try and use for free!
- Live streaming: TikTok allows users to receive virtual gifts from their followers during live streams, which can then be converted into real money.
- Merchandise sales: You can sell merchandise related to your content such as t-shirts, phone cases or stickers through sites like Teespring and Redbubble or any print-on-demand service. In this way, you won’t have to keep any stock and items will be shipped directly to your followers from the warehouse/production.
- Affiliate marketing: By promoting affiliate products or services through your videos, you can earn commissions when someone makes a purchase using your unique referral link.
Remember that building an engaged audience is key to making money on TikTok. Focus on creating quality content that resonates with your followers and grows your fan base organically before attempting any monetisation strategies. Furthermore, not all of these four ways may apply to your brand or profile. You’ll need to experiment and see what works best with your audience and what you have to offer.
How to start a YouTube account to make money
Also starting a YouTube account is a straightforward process that can be done in a few easy steps from the comfort of your own house. Here’s a guided process to help you get started:
- Sign Up for a Google Account: YouTube is owned by Google, so you’ll need a Google account to create a YouTube channel. If you already have a Google account (for example, a Gmail account), you can skip this step. If you don’t have a Google account, go to the Google sign-up page and create a new account.
- Create a YouTube Channel: Once you have a Google account, go to YouTube and click on the “Create a channel” button in the top right-hand corner of the screen. You’ll be prompted to enter a name for your channel and select a category that best represents your content (for example, music, comedy, education, etc.). You can create multiple channels on the same Google account, so don’t worry if you already have your “personal” account.
- Customise Your Channel: After creating your channel, you can customise it to make it more appealing to your audience. Add a profile picture and banner image that represent your brand or content, and write a channel description that explains what your channel is about. YouTube allow us to use up to 1000 character, so it can be a good opportunity to experiment with different keywords.
- Start Creating Content: Now that your channel is set up, it’s time to start creating content! YouTube is a video-sharing platform, so you’ll need to create videos to upload to your channel. Experiment with different types of content and formats like shorts and normal videos. To grow on Youtube, remember to be authentic, engaging, and consistent with your content.
How to Make Money on YouTube
If you’re looking to make money on YouTube, there are a few ways you can go about it. Here are some ideas:
- YouTube Adverts: One of the most popular methods to make money on YouTube is through advertising revenue. Through Google AdSense, YouTubers can earn money by placing ads in their videos and, depending on the niche, you can earn quite a lot! To be eligible for this program, your channel must have at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours in the past year. From January 2023, also shorts are eligible for monetisation in the UK but you’ll need to reach 10M views and 1,000 subscribers.
- Sponsorships: Another way to make money on YouTube is through sponsored content. This involves partnering with brands who will pay you to promote their products or services in your videos. It’s important to disclose any sponsored content so that viewers know it’s an advertisement.
- Merchandise: You can also sell merchandise related to your channels such as t-shirts or stickers. With print-on demand services the process it’s going to be even easier.
- Donation: Many YouTubers also use Patreon or other crowdfunding platforms to gain financial support from their fans. This is a great way to engage and create a group of “aficionados” for your channel, so don’t forget to thank them in the videos. Ultimately, making money on YouTube takes time, effort and a bit of creativity but with persistence, it’s possible to turn your passion into profit.
Both TikTok and YouTube offer great opportunities for creators to make money while doing what they love. Making money on these platforms requires time, dedication, hard work, and patience because the shortcuts that promise you to become rich overnight don’t really exist. But creating content on TikTok and YouTube can be a great way to take a passion that brings in extra cash into a full-time opportunity.